Spam classification spreadsheet for Spamass-Milter
Ever wondered how to tune your SpamAssassin
rules to best identify the spam that hits your box? Well,
the spreadsheet generator program available here will do just that for
you if you're using the spamass-milter
plug-in for Sendmail.
Documentation is in the software itself. Run
for complete information about how to use the
Let us know if you think it would be useful to get spamtune
working with other mail server/mail filter combinations.
Even better, hack the source and send me the patch!
Kandalaya Tunes and Fixes Large Electronic Auction Portal
Kandalaya has been hired to provide tuning, fixing and
project management expertise for one of India's largest
electronic auction portals. More details when the project
goes completely live.
New patch for VM-POP3D released with VishwaKarma version
Please use the new patch at http://kandalaya.org/vk/vk/vm-pop3d-1.1.4.patch to patch VM-POP3d. The older one had issues which caused it to not work on some platforms.
The fixed patch is part of the pre-release candidate 2 of
High-security mail relay server setup for HOT
Kandalaya takes a critical time-bound project from HOT Telecommunications (Deutschland) GmbH and completes it well within the required time-frame.
The project is for a mail relay server with high security
and anti-spam features to be used to relay messages for HOT
Telecommunications customers. Kandalaya creates a
customised anti-spam software interface for meeting these
VishwaKarma 2.0 stable test release available
pre-release 1 is out. Major changes from Beta8:
Please read the ChangeLog for
detailed list of changes.
- [Feature]: Tested on Red Hat 7.2.
- [Feature]: Notifications on changes effected by
resellers, domain owners and users.
- [Enhancement]: Many cleanups and minor
VishwaKarma 2.0 Beta8 released
Beta8 is out. Major changes from Beta7:
- [Feature] Works on Red Hat 7.1
systems. This and the use of vm-pop3d (under) are the
biggest changes in Beta8.
- [Enhancement] Has a proper LDAP schema for systems which
support it. Don't try using the schema in RH 6.2, the
OpenLDAP 1.x server won't recognise it.
- [Feature] Have done away with gnu-pop3d and
in its place. The new POP server is properly patched
and will build on multiple platforms, unlike my
gnu-pop3d implementation which only compiled on RH 6.2.
In addition, vm-pop3d supports UIDL (client-side message
tracking) and logs messages which can be used by a
- [Bugfix] A potentially dangerous bug in the regex code
in doApache in system.pl has been
- [Enhancement] Fixed quota routines to handle
setquota arguments in Red Hat 7.1.
- [Enhancement] More FAQ's answered.
Kandalaya signs training contract with Hughes Software
Kandalaya has been retained by M/S Hughes Software
Systems (a subsidiary of Hughes Network Systems)
for extensive training in:
Kandalaya has received excellent feedback from course
participants in trainings conducted so far.
- GNU/Linux programming
- Basic and Advanced C and C++ Languages
- CORBA development
- Rational Rose
VishwaKarma 2.0 being tested preparatory to release
Flash (July 10, 2001): VishwaKarma 2.0
Beta7 is out. Major changes from Beta6:
(July 6, 2001): VishwaKarma 2.0
Beta6 is ready for download and testing. Major
- [Feature] All reports have been completed. The
list now includes Server Owner summary and detail
reports, Reseller summary and detail reports and Domain
summary report. There is no need for a Domain detail
report since the summary is detailed enough.
- [Bugfix] Quotas in reports work as advertised.
Minor changes in the quota-getting routines.
(June 16, 2001): VishwaKarma 2.0
Beta5 is ready for download and testing. Major
- [Bugfix] Delete Mailing List function works
- [Feature] Frontpage administration at domain
level (domain owner can enable/disable FP at her
discretion). Needs FP feature to be enabled for the
domain at domain creation/modification time.
- [Feature] JSP (Jakarta-Tomcat) administration
at domain level. All as above for FP.
- [Feature] Summary and detail reports for server
owner. More reports (reseller and domain owner) on the
- [Bugfix] Domain menu now shows appropriate
buttons for domain owner, reseller and server
(June 8, 2001): VishwaKarma 2.0
Beta4 is ready for download and testing. Major
- [Bugfix] List add will not re-add an existing
- [Enhancement] List details page shows number of
members in the list.
- [Feature] FrontPage support. Enable or disable
FrontPage for domains through VishwaKarma now!
Tested with FrontPage extensions version 4.0.
- [Enhancement] FAQ enhancements.
(May 26, 2001): VishwaKarma 2.0
Beta3 is ready for download and testing.
May 22, 2001: VishwaKarma 2.0
Beta2 is ready for download and testing. Mailing list
support has been incorporated into this version.
- [Feature] All modified system files are backed up in
/tmp by date
- [Enhancement] Delete Mailing List button has large
- [Bugfix] Possible now for a reseller to modify a
domain even when she has the maximum domains permitted
her already in place
- [Enhancement] Uppercase user inputs in domain names
and user ID's are automatically converted to
- [Feature] Find domain button for server owner to
enable her to quickly find the reseller for a given
- [Feature]VishwaKarma Frequently Asked
Questions answered! (Download the SGML Source)
After much discussion with hosting company
representatives to define ideal set of features, Kandalaya
is set to release VishwaKarma 2.0, the GPL
Web-hosting Control Panel.
New features which have been implemented in 2.0 Beta
- The promised all-new security model. Much better
control on user inputs and single sign-on model for
authentication (includes auto-logout after 15 minutes of
- Limits per reseller on maximum number of domains and
per domain on maximum number of e-mail users
- Default IP addresses per server, per reseller
- More information capture (e.g. e-mail addresses)
The following features have been integrated but not
tested yet; they will be present in the final release of
- Mailing list management. Done!
- Server Owner, Reseller and Domain Owner notifications
on database changes
- Reports. Done!
- Support for external programs for:
- Web-based file management
- JSP admin. Done!
- MySQL admin. Done!
- FrontPage admin. Done!
- Web page access management
- Web Counter admin
- Form Mail admin
You can download a copy of VishwaKarma 2.0 Beta1 here. Note:
This is a testing release only!
us if you'd like to help in writing an automatic
installer and/or identifying packages to handle the
``external programs'' listed above.
Kandalaya completes migration project for Informatics,
Kandalaya was invited by one of Sri Lanka's largest IT
players, Informatics, to
streamline their internal and external IT support
operations. The scope of the project included
- Migration of over 300 users from Netscape Messaging
Server running on Unix to Linux
- Spam control
- Open Relay control and removal from blacklists
- Security setup
- Mail server seperation for internal and external
clients with fallback arrangements
- Internal system administrator training
Kandalaya has successfully completed this project and is
looking for a long-term relationship with Informatics in
the Linux and security consulting fields.
Work starts on VishwaKarma version 2.0
VishwaKarma version 2.0 is
in the offing, with many new features. Some of these
- Completely re-written authentication code using
sessions, cookies and strong cryptography
- More attractive user interface with graphics, icons and more
- Bug fixes from v1.1 (and introduction of many new bugs
- Contact information for server owners and resellers
and notification on lower-level activities
- Control (maximum domains per reseller, maximum e-mail
addresses per domain)
- IP address fixing
- Integration into mod_perl for much
Work is already in progress on VishwaKarma v2.0. Please
send us a mail
if you'd like to be notified when the new version comes
out or if you'd like to help in development.
VishwaKarma, the Web Hosting Control Panel version 1.1
Version 1.1 of VishwaKarma is mostly a bugfix
Changes from version
IP and Autonomous System Number (ASN) Registry bug
The top-level IP and ASN Registries display DES-encrypted
passwords to anyone who asks. With advances in
brute-force DES decryption, this makes them open to attack
by anyone who has a fast computer. We reported this bug and a simple password-gathering and preparing program to
The discussion, program and correspondence with the
registries are available on the Miscellaneous page
Presentations by Raju Mathur at IT.COM Linux Conference
Raju Mathur of Kandalaya made presentations on ``Linux
for ISP's'' and VishwaKarma at the Linux Conference stream
in Bangalore. This was organised to coincide with the
IT.COM being held in Bangalore at the same time.
The presentations are available in Star Office
format from the Presentations
VishwaKarma, the GPL Web Hosting Control Panel
Kandalaya releases version 1.0 of VishwaKarma, a free
Web-Hosting Control Panel for GNU/Linux systems.
More details on the VishwaKarma page